Top Five Friday: Favorite Reads from 2014

Between work at the library, spending time with my husband, and hosting a foreign exchange student, I didn't take as much time to read as I wanted to in 2014. I'm a little embarrassed to mention how many books I made it through, but here's five that I really enjoyed:

1. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Year of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

I always enjoy a good Murakami novel. The title character tries to come to terms with and understand the sudden and inexplicable estrangement of this group of high school friends. Less fantastical than some of his other works, but the mystery and intrigue remains.

2. Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith

Small town Iowa. Horny teenage male. Giant, man-eating praying mantises. This is the story of the end of the world. Bizarre but hilarious. I loved it!

3.  Noggin by John Corey Whaley

Another scientifically weird, but good one! Travis gets his head cryogenically frozen and reattached to someone else's body. He wakes up five years in the future, but to him it was just waking up from a nap. He has to learn to adjust to a world where his family and friends moved on without him.

4. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

A beautiful coming of age story about forgiveness and accepting one's talents. Jude and Noah, twins, used to be close. Getting into a prestigious art school, vying for their mother's attention, falling for guys - they share similar aspirations which end up getting between them.

5. The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
My Books and Beer Club pick for February, The Interestings is a lengthy novel that follows the lives of six friends who met at a summer camp for the arts, exploring how choices affect one's life path. When I read I'll Give You the Sun, I couldn't help but compare the two.



Comments