2013 in Review (part 2)

The second half of the year started out with a trip to Chicago for my first American Library Association annual conference. It was big and amazing and everything I’d imagined and more. My favorite memory of the whole experience was my first bus ride to the McCormick Place convention center. I was nervous and excited, and I tweeted that I felt like I was being bussed into the Hunger Games. Other great things included meeting authors like Veronica Roth, Tim Federle, Demitria Lunetta and David Levithan; meeting librarians from all over the United States and learning a ton at the many different sessions.

After the exiting summer wound down, I oversaw the final touches to the library’s reading garden – a three year long project that started before my time at the library. From dealing with issues with our boilers and elevator to planning a few programs here and there, things at the library were pretty calm throughout the fall otherwise. To spice up my life, I decided to accept an offer to teach a section of English Composition at William Penn University, a local private, liberal arts school in Oskaloosa. For those who know me, I once had an interest in teaching, and this was a great opportunity for me to try it out – and earn a little extra money on the side.

Friends of the Library Tea Time in the Garden
October brought my first Iowa Library Association Conference, another opportunity for me to connect with librarians and receive continuing education. And then came the rush of the holiday season. Before Thanksgiving, my Youth Librarian and I hosted a Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Party, and one of the library assistants created an awesome replica of the TARDIS which we then used on the Teen Advisory Board’s float in Oskaloosa’s annual lighted Christmas parade. We also tried out a free crafting program series before Christmas, which I thought turned out pretty well.

All in all, I felt 2013 was a pretty great year and I’m looking forward to 2014. One of the projects that I’m most excited about that I’ll be working on is a Books & Beer club I’m starting with the co-owner of the Cellar Peanut Pub! We had a pretty good response to our initial survey, and many have expressed interest in the club. Our first selection is Solomon Northup’s Twelve Years a Slave, and we’ll be meeting to discuss the book at the pub at 6:00 p.m. on January 28th!

Comments