Weddings, Moustaches and Summer Reading!

As you can tell, I've been neglecting this blog for the past couple of weeks, but not without a good reason - final planning stages for a wedding! This past Saturday, in front of family and friends, I got to express my love and commitment to my - now - husband, Nathan, in marriage.

Though the final few weeks leading up to the big day were stressful and tiring, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. We rented an open shelter in a park in Des Moines and had a wonderful outdoor wedding, despite a little heat and a few strong gusts of wind. My supervisor, who I asked to stand up with me as a guest of honor, her 7 year old twins - our flower girl and ring bearer - along with a couple of other coworkers made the experience even more special with their presence. I feel fortunate to work with people who support me and Nathan, and am glad to have been able to share the day with them.

In other news, the summer reading program at my library is going strong with many patrons participating, several programs being offered, and even more books being read! Straying from the national theme, Summer in the City strives to "go outside our walls" to get inside our patrons' heads. Our marketing director, adult programming librarian, and those in the children's room and teen zone have done an awesome job getting the program together - and it has encouraged me to read more too, as there's staff prizes this year! The whole thing kicked off with a Lawn Games & Moustaches party, which attracted hundreds of people to the library grounds for pie, fun games, accordion music, and, of course, moustaches! It was great to see so many people excited about the summer reading program and the library.

This year has turned out to be good one for new releases too, and I've got a couple of new books to look forward to reading. Here's what's on my summer list so far:

            Bonshaker by Cherie Priest
            The Legend of Pradeep Mathew by Shehan Karunatilaka
            Neuromancer by William Gibson
            The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
            Office Girl by Joe Meno

What will you be reading?

Comments