Review: Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee

Sometimes a cover attracts me to a book (despite the well known adage). Sometimes it's a good review or a friend's suggestion. With Megan Boyle's Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee, though, it was pretty much the title. As it infers, the book is a collection of blog posts written by a twenty something year old girl of Hispanic decent who works at the Asian fast food restaurant and lives by herself in an apartment with a couple of cats. The entries span a year and a half from January 2, 2009 to July 3, 2010 and document the author's thoughts and experiences with sex, drugs and failed relationships.

Mundane activities like deciding what to eat, a trip to the hospital for a stomach ulcer, an annotated list of sexual partners, and vacillations on her career path--Megan holds nothing back. To be honest, several of the posts did make me think, "Why would you have this published?!" and "Why am I reading this?!" However, I found myself reflecting on my own early twenties--I too lived by myself with a couple of cats and did a few things my parents might frown upon--and the many unpublished thoughts, poems and blurbs that have come through my own head. However, I'd have to say Megan's experience and writings were much more interesting.

Overall, the collection of blog posts provides a snapshot of what could be any single, twenty something girl's college life in Baltimore and is a good, quick read remenisicant of a Tao Lin novel.

Comments