Mortal Kombat!

When I was a teenager, I was pretty much obsessed with Mortal Kombat. It started with the arcade. My siblings and I bowled every Saturday on a league, and every chance I got, I ran to the arcade to anxiously await my turn on the MKII machine, quarters in hand. I couldn't describe my excitement each time I wandered into the game room to find that a new edition had been released. Then I learned that I could play it at home, and I begged my parents for the Super Nintendo and Game Boy versions for my birthdays or the holidays or saved up the money myself. I never considered myself a violent kid, but my sometimes unhealthy obsession with this graphic, blood and guts filled game might say otherwise.

I spent the better part of my day off yesterday reviving that obsession. My fiance "surprised me" with the newest edition of the game for PlayStation 3 for Christmas (he actually bought it a couple of months ago, making no effort to hide it from me and telling me he intended to sell it for profit). And I love it. One of the most horrifyingly graphic, and probably my favorite, aspects of the game is the "x-ray moves" in which the animation slows down and you see bones break in x-rays of where certain punches, kicks or other impacts land. Fatalities are much more realistic, too, showing every gut, every exposed muscle, every drop of blood in brutal finishing moves that often times leave me cringing.

Another thing I like about the game is the story mode. A combination of a movie and the original verses mode, you pretty much enter the Mortal Kombat background story as different characters. I, of course, saw the Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation film adaptations, but the interactive aspect makes the story so much better. I even tried my hand at an online round, in which you choose your kombatant and fight an unknown user. I haven't played any form of the game for such a long time, and I was sure I was going to get creamed, but I actually managed to win and even perform a fatality. There was sort of a lag, but I think that was more from my internet connection than it was any fault with the game.

If I didn't have tons of books that I want to read, an apartment to keep clean, meals to cook and consume, a fiance to spend time with and a full time job, I would probably spend hour after hour playing this game. However, like I am at work at this moment, I'll just have to fantasize about my next flawless victory, fatality or babality whenever I don't have the controller in my hand.

Comments