They should really call it "Frantic Friday"

Over on Twitter last night and this morning, I didn't hesitate to express my feelings about Black Friday--honestly, it kind of upsets and disgusts me. When I saw an article about the incident in California in which a woman used pepper spray to gain access to "door buster" merchandise, it just furthered that disgust. I find it sad that discounted products bring out this primordial beast within people, and they fight like a bunch of starving hyena's chasing after some scrawny gazelle. I realize this isn't the first year that something like this has happened--people have been getting trampled, shot, and even killed on this day for years now, just so others can save money on products that corporations convince them they or their loved ones need.

Part of me would like to claim that I'm frugal. When my fiance and I were first living together, I sometimes felt that I was the only one keeping a budget in mind, and this caused a few issues for us. He wanted nice shelves, posters for the walls, a brand new couch, and a 47 inch flat screen T.V. so he could feel a little more at home. I was content with my hand-me-down couch, console T.V. and a few old nik-knacks. Shopping was always an unpleasant experience, because we'd always end up upsetting each other. It's not as bad now, but when my fiance tells me about great deals on things like Blu-Ray movies, video games and consoles, video cameras and computers, I still feel a little wrench in my stomach. But I do have to admit that I can get excited over a good deal. Just this past July, I spent nearly an hour waiting in line at Urban Outfitters for a couple of hoodies and a sweater at a sidewalk sale. However, I didn't shove my way through the crowd, knock displays over and attack people who got to something before I did.

For necessities like food, toilet paper, shampoo, clothes, etc., I do understand the importance and value of a good deal. However, working at a public library has really opened my eyes to how much a person can really save when it comes to things like books, movies, music and other forms of entertainment. Every year when my parents, siblings or friends ask me what I want for the holidays, I have a horrible time coming up with something, because anything I'd come up with I could borrow, or probably have borrowed, from the library. So I might just ask them to save me the trouble of accumulating more nice, but really unnecessary things to clutter my already crowded apartment, and donate money or items to their local libraries. That, I think, would make me feel much better.

Comments