Je ne suis pas abandonner!

The other day a coworker asked me how this blog and project was coming, and I admitted that I had turned my attention to other things. I sheepishly explained that the process of tracking down titles by Nobel Prize winning authors was just too time consuming and that I had turned my attention to other things. Those other things being other books that I much preferred to read, like Roseanne's Roseannearchy: Dispatches from the Nut Farm, Planet of the Apes (I wanted to explore all things Apes after seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes), Augusten Burroughs's Sellevision, and Chuck Palahniuk's upcoming release, Damned. Also, I spent some creative energy on updates for the Lawrence Public Library's blog: The Spotlight, tweets, and Facebook statuses. In further reflection, though, I've decided that that's no excuse.

And so, I've decided I'm not giving up! Returning to the list of winners of the Nobel Prize in Literature, I find that in 1904--where I left off--the prize was divided equally between two writers: Frédéric Mistral and José Echegaray y Eizaguirre. The former was a French poet and the later a Spanish dramatist. Their works must have be so significant that the Nobel committee mustn't have been able to choose between the two. I imagine them sitting around a table, angry fisted and red faced, arguing defensively for each title. Then again, maybe not...

Anyway, in order to avoid overwhelming myself, I've decided to focus my attention on obtaining a title by one of the writers at this time. I've placed an interlibrary loan request for Maro Beath Jones's translation of Frédéric Mistral's Lou Pouèmo dóu Rose. According to NobelPrize.org, Mr. Mistral was awarded "in recognition of the fresh originality and true inspiration of his poetic production, which faithfully reflects the natural scenery and native spirit of his people, and, in addition, his significant work as a Provençal philologist." The particular title that I chose (at random, really) isn't recognized as his most important work (the Provençal poem Mirèio is), but I'm sure it won't be too bad--he did win the Nobel Prize for Literature after all.

So now I just wait for the arrival of the book--which may take up to two weeks. Look forward to more updates!

Comments