What Would Alfred Read? - Introduction

So here's the plan: read at least one title (or volume of poetry or essays) by each of the winners of the Nobel Prize for Literature since its first awarding in 1901 to Sully Prudhomme, and blog my thoughts and reflections on each writer and work.

I came up with this idea when I was nearing the completion of my Master of Library Science degree in December. Having been used to a full schedule of projects and readings for school, I figured I would have all this free time after graduating. I also thought, as a librarian, it would be important to be well-read, and I figured what better reading list could there be?

Will I have a time frame for completion? Nope. No way. There's 107 Nobel Laureates, and I have no idea how long it will take me to track down and read each chosen title. I will, however, try to keep on task and maybe, just maybe, I'll finish before the next millennium...

Now, I have to be honest and say that I had initially planned to start this project in January. After graduating, though, my partner and I moved into a new apartment and we spent a lot of our time and energy trying to find a job for him. Between working at the library, spending time with my partner, cleaning and doing other housework, I just couldn't find or take the time to begin. We've all heard that saying about life being what happens while you're making other plans...

Now, though, summer is approaching, and with all the buzz about summer reading programs and projects, I have felt encouraged to begin. So here's to Sully Prudhomme, my first Nobel reading endeavor!

Comments

  1. I'm a little bit slow to catch on to this, William, but I'm in! Such a great idea for a way to keep yourself learning. I'm currently collecting all the Newberry award winning books. It would be fun to do this same thing with those as well. Looking forward to reading about what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment